The lands of Eldraine have fallen victim to a sleeping curse - the Wicked Slumber! Only you and your fellow planeswalkers can help break the curse and free the denizens of this plane. To brave this quest, you'll need to venture into the Wilds of Eldraine. Join us this September for a sneak peak at the set, and a chance to play with these cards before anyone else!
Wilds of Eldraine Prerelease Overview
Ready for flights of fantasy and tales of adventure? Join us for up to six sealed prerelease events this September. If you've never played at a prerelease before - no worries! We've got some helpful tips and reminders for you below, along with links to all of our events and preorder information to boot.
Sealed Prerelease Events
- Flight 1 - September 1, 3 PM (3 Round Event)
- Flight 2 - September 1, 7:30 PM
- Flight 3 - September 2, 11 AM
- Flight 4 - September 2, 5 PM
- Flight 5 - September 3, 11 AM (2-Headed Giant)
- Flight 6 - September 3, 5 PM
Each event will consist of a sealed event of some variety (regular or 2 Headed Giant), and last 3-4 rounds of play. More on that just a bit further down. If you’d rather draft a prerelease, we have you covered the Tuesday after prerelease weekend!
Bonus Draft Prerelease Event!
- Flight 7 - Tuesday, September 5 at 6:30 PM (this link will go live Monday, September 4 at 11 AM)
As with the Brothers’ War, we’ll have a full suite of product available to sate your cravings for perfection…I meant booster drafts! And that’s not all - we’ll also be able to sell individual packs, including draft, set and collector boosters, alongside bundles, commander decks…basically anything you could ask for to help get you set up to rage against the machine that is Elesh Norn.
Wilds of Eldraine Preorders and Buy-A-Box Promo Information
Preorders for Wilds of Eldraine are already up on our web store when you’re ready for them. As with most recent sets, preorders for whole boxes (see below) will also receive the following buy a box promo (while supplies last).
You'll receive one buy-a-box promo for every purchase of the following items:
You'll get 1 promo per qualifying item(s) purchased. So if you preorder 6 prerelease kits and a set booster display, you'll get 2 of these lovely promo cards.
Eldraine is a land of wondrous stories, and nothing sums it up the theme better than the enchanting tales. This subset of cards features powerful enchantments from Magic's history, including Rhystic Study, Doubling Season (goose hydraaaaaa!), Necropotence, and so many more! Each draft booster of Wilds of Eldraine will have one of these cards inside, along with the regular rare. So you can up to three rares per draft booster!
30th Anniversary Bonus Promos!
Magic's 30th Anniversary continues with more promos! These promos will be stamped with the year each card came out, and there will be 30 promos in total, one per year. Wanna get one? We’re making it easier than ever!
Everyone who plays in a prerelease event will recieve a promo while supplies last!
Additional promos can also be awarded by event staff for excellent behavior such as assisting other players with deck building, helping event staff, and good sporting behavior and more. If you’re looking for one particular promo, please understand that we did not receive equal amounts of all the promos for this set. Some cards will be harder to find than others!
Preparing for a Prerelease at Phoenix
Once you've preregistered for your event(s) of choice, there's a small checklist of things to do before prerelease weekend rolls along. If you're planning to play at one of the in-person events, here's what you'll need to be aware of:
- Review our current guidelines regarding in-store play. (updated May 17, 2023)
- Per our new in-store play guidelines, players who need an accommodation to attend a prerelease event should request them at least 48 hours prior to the event.
- Food and Non-alcoholic drinks are allowed inside, so please do make sure you bring a snack and water bottle in case you get hungry between rounds.
- Optional, but highly recommended: Download the Magic Companion app to your phone or tablet.
- Optional, but highly recommended: Make sure you have a login setup with the MTG Companion App (if you play Arena, these login credentials are the same for both game and app).
What to do during Prerelease Weekend
If you're playing in one of our in-person events, just make sure you arrive at the store before the event's start time. We recommend aiming for about 30-45 minutes prior to the event to make sure you can get checked in, find a seat, and get comfortable in the space. You can do some trading, or pick up some sleeves or what have you, and it's way easier if you do that ahead of start time rather than during deck construction.
The Prerelease "How to"
All of our regular Wilds of Eldraine prerelease events will be a sealed (or limited) format events. That means you'll be given 6 draft boosters of Wilds of Eldraine and a foil prerelease promo inside of your prerelease kit. We'll give you about 45 minutes to open those packs, sort them, and build deck out of the contents inside. Here are all the deck building requirements:
- Minimum Deck Size is 40 cards
- You may use the contents of your prerelease booster packs (plus the date stamped promo) to build your deck.
- Aside from basic land, you may only use whatever is in your prerelease kit to build with. (No trading with other players or combining multiple pools, please).
- There's no cap on the number of cards of the same name you can have in the deck (ex: if you open 5 of the same card, you can use all 5 if you want).
- You may adjust your deck between games or matches. If you're just not doing well with what you built, maybe try a different combination of colors!
Once you've got your deck built, set the rest of your card pool aside until the end of the event. Don't trade anything away yet, cause those leftover cards will be your sideboard.
Prerelease Prize Support
All of our prerelease events are run with an eye towards having the best possible time, learning, and trying out new ideas and strategies that come from every new set. So with that in mind, we stick to a simple pack-per-win prize structure that looks a little like this:
- 4 Wins - 4 Packs
- 3 Wins - 3 Packs
- 2 Wins - 2 Packs
- 1 Win - 1 Pack
With the exception of the Friday at 3 PM event, each event will have a maximum of 4 rounds. All prizes will be awarded to players in the form of Wilds of Eldraine Set boosters once they've finished with the event. Only play 2 rounds and need to drop? No problem! Just let us know you're leaving and we'll give you whatever prizes are owed at that point.
Because the 3 PM Friday event will be constrained to 3 rounds in order to make sure that the 7:30 PM event can start on time, it will have a similar prize structure to the one listed above, but adjusted slightly. In order to accommodate the missing round, the final round of the event will count for 2 boosters (so you can still win as many as four packs if you 3-0 the Friday event).
Wilds of Eldraine Prerelease FAQ
Here's a few commonly asked questions about prerelease events and in-store play events. If your question isn't on this list, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at the store! We're happy to answer any questions you might have.
Q: How well do I have to know Magic to play at a prerelease?
A: Not that well really! We ask that you have a working knowledge of the game (i.e., you know how to play, and no one's going to need to explain turn order or any of the basics), but beyond that we'll do our best to accommodate any and all skill levels. Prerelease events are a fun and casual environment, and if you're having a tough time with something we'll have a judge or tournament organizer available to help you through it.
Q: What should I bring with me to the event?
A: Here's a short checklist of items that are either required or good to have:
- Optional but recommended: A well fitted mask to wear while at the tables.
- A water bottle and energy bar or dry-snack (it's a good idea to have something if you're hungry and a round goes long).
- Sleeves and a deck box (you also can buy these at the shop if you forget them)
Q: Should I preregister for the event?
A: If you're able to, yes absolutely! Preregistration locks in your spot at the event. The last thing you need or want is to show up on the day of and find out we sold out the night before (which is a thing that has happened in the past).
Q: If I preregister and can't make the event, what happens?
A: That depends on you! In the event you aren't able to make it to the event, you can either contact us to request a refund, or stop by as you're able to and pick up the prerelease kit we would have handed you if you had gone to the event. If we don't hear from you, we'll assume you want the prerelease kit and hold it til the next time we see you.
Q: I've never built a deck for limited before. Any pointers?
A: We've got a few! Here's a short list of handy tips when building a limited / sealed deck:
- Stick to 40 cards! That's roughly 23 spells and creatures + 17 land. Those numbers will shift a little bit depending on what you open, but broadly that's where you should aim to be.
- Play the colors that let you play your best cards.
- Don't be afraid to experiment! You can switch your deck around between rounds and between games. Every card you're not actively using in your deck is part of your sideboard, so if one color combo just isn't working for you, maybe wait until the match is over and try swapping it around.
- It's okay to ask for help from other players. This is a prerelease; we're here to have fun and enjoy the new set. You'll often find that we've got several players at each prerelease that enjoy helping and mentoring newer players through the deck building process.
Q: Any other advice on getting ready for a prerelease?
A: Yup! If you can, try to familiarize yourself with the set ahead of time. Keep an eye out for spoilers! By the time you're reading this, spoiler season will already have started and you can bet that there's a few really cool looking cards and mechanics out there that need reading up on.
Q: What if I need to swap from one event to the other, can I do that?A: Sure! As long as there's still a spot at the event you want to swap to, yes definitely. Just email us (or contact us through the contact page of our website) and we'll get right on it.