April - June Event Outlook
Spring is here and with it, a host of new events! We've got prereleases, our store anniversary, Free Comic Book Day, and the return of an old favorite monthly event to talk about. So if any of that sounds like fun to you, read on to find out more!
A Quick Note on our Masking Guidelines
When I last wrote one of these things, we were staring down a surge from the Omicron and Delta variants of Covid. Since then, not only has that surge subsided, but number have decreased to the point where both State and local governments have rolled back the vaccination card checks and indoor masking requirements.
After careful discussion with the entire team here at Phoenix, we have decided to keep the mask requirements and vaccination card checks in place here at the store for the time being. While we do feel that this is still necessary for the use of in-store tables and community space, we also feel that the decrease in numbers will allow us to substantially raise our in-store capacity. So, beginning April 1, our new in-store capacity will be back to its pre-pandemic levels of 52!
As with other notices of this sort, we will continue to monitor infection rates and guidance from public health officials to adjust our policies in this area. If we make any changes to the policy, we'll notify folks on the following three social media platforms:
It is my sincere hope that the numbers continue to go down, and as they do we can continue to open things up. For those of you curious as to what that might look like, next steps include making masks optional for browsing customers (i.e., people not at tables), ending the checking of vaccination cards, and then finally making masking in-store optional again. Those steps would occur in roughly that order, and only with the full support of our entire team.
April - June Schedule of Events
With that tiny pandemic update out of the way, let's review our monthly events! We've got not one, but TWO returning events to add back into the mix this time: The Feminist Comic Book Club is back every fourth Monday starting this April 25th, and we have now host the Seattle Furry Board Gamers meetup every other weekend beginning April 10th!
- Narrative Games Northwest (Monthly on the first Monday of every month at 6 PM)
- Queer Geek Board Game Meetup (Usually on the second Saturday of every month, with allowances made for Magic events nudging them around)
- (New!) Seattle Furry Board Gamers Group (Meets every other Sunday beginning April 10)
- XL Bears Board Game Meetup (Usually Monthly on the second Sunday)
- (New!) Seattle Feminist Comic Book Club (Fourth Monday of every month; you can find out which books we're reading by checking in at the store or swinging by their discord or facebook groups).
- Tuesdays at 6 PM: Magic Modern Constructed Event
- Wednesdays at 5 PM: Magic Commander Open Play Night
- Thursdays at 6 PM: Magic Legacy Constructed Event
- Fridays at 6 PM: Magic Rotating FNM Drafts!
- (New! Beginning May 6) Fridays at 6 PM: Standard Friday Night Magic
April - June Important Dates
- April 22-24: Streets of New Capenna Prerelease Events
- May 7: Free Comic Book Day + Store Anniversary Sale
- June 3-5: Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur's Gate Prerelease Events
FNM Draft Schedule
Preregistration on all of these drafts will be available beginning the day before at 11 AM. With our expanded capacity, each of these drafts will have room enough for 32 players unless otherwise noted.
- April 1: Kamigawa Neon Dynasty
- April 8: Kamigawa Neon Dynasty
- April 15: Modern Horizons 2 (Player Cap 24)
- April 29: Streets of New Capenna
- May 6: Streets of New Capenna
- May 13: Streets of New Capenna
- May 20: Streets of New Capenna
- May 27: Streets of New Capenna
- June 10: Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur's Gate
- June 17: Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur's Gate
- June 24: Streets of New Capenna
- July 1: Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur's Gate